Migrating WordPress Site easily using Duplicator
Migrating WordPress Site arises while working with the Websites, domains and hosting. There comes several situations when we feel that one of the three is just not right. Here we require migrating WordPress Site. We may change the domain, or websites or hosting. Now here is the complex requirement to migrate the website.
Migration can be of three kind:
To same domain but different host.
To different domain but same host.
To different domain and different host.
In all of the above situation, we have a plugin called Duplicator. This Plugin comes in handy in many situations.
Duplicator WordPress Plugin-
Migrating WordPress Site
Duplicator is a free WordPress Plugin helping in migrating WordPress Site. It makes easy to migrate WordPress websites. Usually the WordPress developers use Backup-Buddy. But Duplicator is free alternative.
Copying a website using a Duplicator Plugin is as easy as cheese. Here is a generalized steps that you can follow. There may be a slight difference depending on your server or host.
Another good thing is prior installation of WordPress is not required in the destination or target.
Create a Backup Copy of the website –
Migrating WordPress Site
- Install the Duplicator plugin and active it.
- Now the Duplicator menu item is available in your Admin menu.
- Click on the create Package to Create a Package set.
- Download the Installer and the package.
- Upload the installer and the Package to the destination or target where you wanted the site to be copied.
Now you have create a backup and transferred it to the destination
Creating the database -Migrating WordPress Site
- The Duplicator plugin is supposed to be able to create databases. But if you want to create it manually then
- In the cPanel, in Database Wizard, follow steps to create Database.
- Create database with required name.
- Create user with the required name.
- Assign the new user to newly created database,
- Grant the required privileges to the user you created
Installing the package-Migrating WordPress Site
- Go to you new website url followed by /installer.php.
- Insert the desired field in the settings section.
- Insert the database information and test the settings.
- Click on “I have read all warnings and notices.
- Click on the install link and be calm for a while.
- Follow the clearly depicted instruction depicted on the next page.
- Remove the contents of wp-snapshots from the source system.
Any Issues in Migrating WordPress Site?
It is obvious to have issues in first usage. Any issues in Migrating WordPress Site can be sorted out in plugin page. Duplicator sometimes cannot create the Package and gets time-out. Do not hesitate to give it one more try. If the problem still persists than try not to include the folder wp-content. Manually copy the wp-content to the source using other file transfer methods.
More details can be seen at the Authors Plugin Page here.
What methods do you use to copy the WordPress website? Do share your process and let us know. We would love to have our process refined too.
For any help relating to migrating the wordpress site please do not hesitate to contact WPCares .